Insurance Plans for International Travelers
The question I hear most often: “Do I really need to buy travel insurance?” The short answer is yes. The best International Travel Insurance Plans are designed specifically for the person who is away from home, filling the gaps in their current plans and insuring them where they currently are uninsured. The most important benefit is that the insurance you get will cover what is not included in your domestic plan. For example, global insurance plans have an international network of doctors, emergency assistance services and translators who will help you in a crisis.
Global Travel Insurance Options
Although most of the insurance plans listed on this site are for those traveling outside of their home country, either for a short trip or an extended stay, there are some specific plan types that fall into the general “Travel Insurance” category. We offer the following plans for international travelers:
- Trip Cancellation – Covers the cost of your trip with some additional benefits (lost luggage, trip delay, etc.)
- Travel Medical – Covers medical expenses as well as other risks when traveling overseas for less than a year or for visitors from abroad.
- International Medical – Long-term health insurance for expatriates and global nomads living abroad for a year or more
- Emergency Evacuation – Assistance and transportation to the most appropriate hospital in an emergency situation
- Extreme Sports Coverage – Coverage for participants in Adventure or Extreme Sports
Even if your domestic plan provides some coverage while you are abroad, you may have to pay “out of pocket” for your expenses until you can be reimbursed by your current provider. Most travel insurance plans can pay providers directly or can reimburse you more efficiently. One of the biggest hurdles is working with the foreign hospitals and translating the documents relating to your care. International insurance companies have an expertise in working with these situations, and international assistance call centers, so problems are resolved more quickly.
Related: Best Travel Insurance Companies
Here are some additional situations where it pays to have travelers insurance… You have saved up for your vacation and all ready to head off when disaster strikes and the airline you are flying goes bankrupt! You have invested thousands of dollars in planned travel overseas when you are suddenly laid off from your job! These and a wide variety of calamities can happen, and we can never plan for all eventual outcomes. However, if you purchase a travel policy, you can protect your investment if you need to make changes and cancel your plans under a wide variety of circumstances.
Group Travel Insurance Plans
If you have a group of 5 or more travelers and need coverage for your corporate group, non-profit group, missionary group, or other organization, we can design plans to meet your specific needs. Our group insurance plans can provide comprehensive benefits at affordable rates. We work with a variety of providers so can help you review and compare multiple plans and find the one that best fits your organizational needs. Learn More about International Group Insurance Plans or Request a Quote.
Best Travel Insurance for US Citizens Going Abroad
After reviewing some of the best travel insurance companies, we are confident in recommending specific plans for your trip. The following plans are selected for a combination of great service and affordable pricing. There are less expensive options out there that do not offer the same level of service. The plans below offer the best value.
Recommended Travel Medical Policy for US Citizens Abroad
- Great option for US citizens traveling abroad
- For trips up to 6 months for ages up to 84
- May cover pre-existing conditions for medical services
Best Trip Cancellation Plan for US Citizens
- Comprehensive trip protection for U.S. residents traveling abroad.
- Optional rental car collision coverage available.
- Optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage available (if eligible).
Best Travelers Insurance Plans for Non-US Citizens Traveling Abroad
We have excellent plans for anyone living outside of the USA. The following two options are affordable while providing travelers with excellent benefits and a high level of service.
- You choose between the basic essentials and more extensive coverage.
- Meets Schengen visa insurance requirements.
- 24/7 worldwide travel and emergency medical assistance.
- Trip protection for non-U.S. residents traveling up to 30 days.
- $100,000 personal liability benefit.
- 24/7 multilingual travel assistance.
Student Travelers and Insurance Options
International Student Insurance Plans are available to anyone studying in a foreign country, including their family. You may purchase a student policy on your own as an alternative to the plan the school offers. In some cases, you can purchase a more affordable option while securing a better plan when you buy outside of the school plan. This often makes more sense for older students, OPT participants, married students or students with families.
- Four plan levels, monthly payment option, and savings for paying full premium in advance.
- Keep your coverage when your studies last multiple years.
- Medical providers are available in over 130 countries and territories worldwide.
Recommended Travel Insurance Plans
Plans are available to all nationalities. International Insurance is the premier provider of travel insurance plans – with our range of products, we will have a plan that will fit all your needs. Research, Compare and Buy Online before you go!
Our recommended individual International Insurance Plans:
Short Term / Trip Cancellation: Learn More | Free Quote / Apply
Travel Medical (5 Days to 12 Months): Learn More | Free Quote / Apply
Global Medical (Long Term / Expatriates Plans): Learn More | Free Quote / Apply