The Best Travel Insurance Companies
In today’s unpredictable world, travel insurance has become the most important accessory for any international traveler. Travelers want trip cancellation insurance to protect their trip and travel medical insurance plans to protect their health. But with so many companies out there, which ones can you trust?
We’ve looked at companies around the world to find the best travel insurance companies. The ten companies on our list are the ones that have risen to the top. Each of the insurers on our list provides excellent value for money and offers excellent coverage.
We have also selected top companies for specific needs. So whether you’re a senior, an adventure traveler or have other unique needs, you’ll find the right plan below.
How We Picked the Top Travel Insurance Companies
Each company was judged on the following criteria. We only recommend companies that rate “good” or “excellent” on every item.
- How user-friendly is their site?
- Is it easy to purchase a policy?
- How many countries is the plan offered in?
- How extensive are the benefits?
- Is it easy to make a claim?
- What is the quality of their customer service?
For longer term coverage with comprehensive benefits, consider International Health Insurance. Frequent travels might consider an Annual Travel Insurance plan.
What Are the 10 Best Travel Insurance Companies?
- WorldTrips: One of the first insurers in the world to offer plans for purchase over the Internet, WorldTrips helps thousands of customers in over 130 countries.
- GeoBlue Insurance: GeoBlue is a member of the world-renowned Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and has a network of doctors in over 180 countries.
- Trawick International: If you are an American citizen looking for adventure travel insurance, Trawick International probably has the right plan for you.
- IMG: One of the world’s leading providers of global travel and medical insurance, IMG services members in over 190 countries.
- World Nomads: Adventure travelers from over 130 countries rely on World Nomads to cover them for over 200 adventure activities.
- Seven Corners: Hundreds of thousands of international clients have trusted Seven Corners and their international network of health care providers to take care of them while they’re abroad.
- Global Underwriters: Global Underwriters is especially notable for their coverage for international organized sporting activities.
- AMEX Travel Insurance: American Express is the oldest company on the list; it was established in 1850. You don’t have to be a cardholder to get their insurance, but if you are you will get special perks.
- TripTime Insurance: TripTime has an easy-to-use interface for any trip, and they allow you to add coverage for adventure sports, marine activities, and your personal property.
- Generali: For U.S. residents looking for a simple assortment of plans, Generali Global Assistance might be the right choice.
Reviews of the 10 Best Travel Insurance Plans
WorldTrips offers the Atlas Travel Medical plan. It’s a great option for ordinary international travelers as well as students, employees, and groups. Volunteers for missionary work often find themselves in remote regions, but Atlas has coverage for them. The company also sells coverage for the Schengen visa region. The Schengen visa allows travel for 90 days (or 180 days with multiple entry visas) throughout 26 European countries. Atlas will provide you with special proof of insurance to include with your visa application.
Atlas Travel Insurance
- COVID-19 coverage outside your home country
- Choose between the basic and more extensive coverage
- Meets Schengen visa insurance requirements
- 24/7 worldwide travel and emergency medical assistance
WorldTrips also offer an excellent student insurance plan: Student Secure
IMG Global (Affordable Option)
IMG Global offers Patriot Travel Insurance which is a fantastic option for travelers who like flexibility – both in their insurance coverage and in their budget. Your options for a deductible range from $0 to $2,500 while maximum limits range from $50,000 to $2,000,000. They even do insurance coverage for professional marine crews. This is perfect for expats putting their sailing skills to use as a way to see the world for free. IMG also offers an expat insurance plan for internationals living or working abroad.
Patriot Platinum Travel Insurance
- COVID-19 coverage up to policy maximum if you're visiting the U.S.
- Maximum limits up to $8,000,000
- IMG pays 100% of medical expenses in-network
GeoBlue Travel Insurance
One of the most popular companies, GeoBlue covers US citizens for anything from a 2-week vacation to a 6-month journey through their Voyager plan. They’re a great option for multi-generational trips as many plans include insurance coverage for travelers up to 84 years old. There are also plans for pre-existing conditions that cover medical evaluation and medical services – something travelers of all ages will appreciate.
GeoBlue Voyager Plan
- For U.S. citizens up to age 95
- Coverage for COVID and pre-existing conditions
- 24/7/365 service and assistance
Also consider Trekker – GeoBlue’s Annual Travel Insurance
Our list of the top 10 best travel insurance companies is not complete without this favorite of long-term digital nomads. The plans are high quality but can be expensive relative to some of the other options listed above. If you love glacier walking, snow rafting, kite surfing, cave exploration, ultimate Frisbee, bicycle polo, zip-lining, dodgeball, and air guitar, World Nomads is the perfect fit. This company is driven by adventure. Backpackers will love their coverage for farm labor and WWOOF’ing, childcare positions, and all kinds of restaurant and hospitality work. They understand the backpacking lifestyle. They know every region of the world from camping in Canada to avoiding restricted regions in Myanmar. Adventurous travelers love them!
World Nomads Travel Insurance
- COVID-19 coverage outside your home country
- Coverage for 200+ adventure activities
- Generous benefits for lost and stolen bags and gear
- 24/7 emergency assistance
If you are a U.S. citizen or resident and you plan to participate in hazardous sports or activities, Trawick International provides excellent plans to meet your needs. Their famous SafeTreker plan offers four different coverage levels. Each level provides more coverage and covers more activities than the one before.
SafeTreker Adventure Sports Coverage
- Valid for US residents
- Coverage for over 450+ sports and activities
- Emergency medical coverage
Seven Corners Insurance
Seven Corners offers the Travel Medical Plus plan, and their coverage is all about duration. You can buy insurance for 364 days at a time and renew for up to three years. This makes them unique among this list of the top 10 travel insurance companies. And they’re prepared to help travelers in extreme situations.
Their coverage of natural disasters is especially comprehensive. They provide up to 5 days of accommodation coverage if you’re displaced due to a natural disaster. If that disaster necessitates a return to your home country, your airfare home will be covered. And if you first have to move to a nearby safe location before you can fly home, they’ll also cover three days of accommodations at your midway point. In other words, if you have to go to a nearby city or country for safety’s sake and wait for a few days until a flight is available, your accommodations are covered.
Seven Corners Travel Insurance
- COVID-19 coverage outside your home country
- Comprehensive medical coverage from 5 days to 1 year
- Your choice of medical maximum and deductible options
- An extensive worldwide network of providers
Seven Corners also offers some excellent Trip Cancelation Insurance Plans.
Other Overseas Travel Insurance Companies to Consider
Trip Time Plans from Point Comfort Underwriters
For holidays, business travel, family trips, or study – TripTime plans are an excellent option. TripTime makes purchasing international travel insurance easy. You select the deductible and maximum benefit that works best for you. Then add coverage for Marine Activities, Adventure Sports, or cover your personal property while traveling. The plan is administered by Point Comfort Underwriters. PCU is a healthcare management and administration company providing insurance for international travelers, multi-national organizations, government-sponsored programs, and other international establishments. PCU is an approved Cover-holder for Lloyd’s, London, and as such, has authority to quote, bind and administer a range of insurance products on their behalf.
Global Underwriters (Plans for Organized Sports)
Global Underwriters offers a variety of coverage and plan options for both US citizens abroad and international travelers worldwide, including plans to cover you for up to 3 years. They also offer a specific plan featuring only Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Benefits and an optional Medical Evacuation Benefit. Check out some of their plans offering coverage for participation in sports activities.
American Express Travel Insurance (Cover Through your Credit Card)
If you take comfort in an insurance company backed by longevity, you’ll appreciate American Express Travel Insurance – Their track record dates back to 1850. Yes, 1850! They can help with legal matters, lost luggage problems, and even locating ATMs. And you don’t have to have an American Express credit card to buy their insurance. But if you are a cardholder, you’re eligible for some little-known perks. One of the most unique is the Client Letter service. This allows you to receive mail at American Express Travel Offices around the world. It’s ideal for digital nomads and spontaneous travelers who can’t say for sure what hotel they’ll be staying at.
Generali Travel Insurance
Generali Global Assistance appeals to travelers who like things simple and straightforward. They offer three travel insurance plans: Standard, Preferred, and Premium. The Standard plan includes all the classics. It offers medical and dental insurance, trip cancellation and interruption, and baggage delay. The Preferred plan builds upon Standard by offering more coverage (medical coverage goes from $50,000 to $150,000) and also covers some niche items like damage to sports equipment. The Premium plan offers a deluxe level of coverage. It’s the perfect company for travelers who like to see their options broken down in bronze, silver, and gold packages.
Best Cancel for Any Reason Policy for U.S. Citizens
Trawick International’s Safe Travels Voyager plan offers a Cancel for Any Reason option. It offers 75% reimbursement of your pre-paid, non-refundable trip costs if you should choose to cancel.
Best Travel Medical Insurance With COVID-19 Coverage
If you are a U.S. citizen or resident, GeoBlue Voyager travel medical insurance includes COVID-19 coverage. This is especially important if you are traveling to a country that mandates it.
Non-U.S. citizens can get excellent travel insurance with COVID-19 coverage if they purchase Atlas Travel Medicial Insurance from WorldTrips.
Best Travel Insurance for Seniors
Seniors up to 84 years old who are U.S. citizens will get excellent coverage from GeoBlue Voyager Travel Insurance, which has an extensive global network of providers.
Seniors from other countries and seniors over 84 will find WorldTrips Atlas to be a great fit. Note that plans for people of some ages have reduced medical maximums.
Compare Travel Insurance for Seniors
Best Travel Insurance for Missionaries or Volunteers
Atlas Travel Medical Insurance from WorldTrips is the best option for missionaries and volunteers. They have an extensive list of recommended medical providers around the globe, but subscribers are not limited to that list. This is especially helpful for missionaries and volunteers who may be in remote areas where an insurer’s provider network won’t reach.
Leading Plan for U.S. Citizens Abroad
GeoBlue Voyager Travel Insurance is travel insurance that is part of the most trusted names in U.S. health, the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. It is available to U.S. citizens traveling overseas for up to six months, and its network spans 180 countries.
Best Travel Insurance for Digital Nomads
If you are a digital nomad traveling from country to country, World Nomads Travel Insurance will cover nearly any adventure along the way. It covers fun activities most other plans don’t, from abseiling to zorbing. And it has coverage for your gear, too!
Best Travel Insurance Including Pets
If you want your animal companion to be as well-protected as you are, Trawick International’s Safe Travels Voyager plan has the coverage you want. It will reimburse you for pet return, pet medical expenses and kennel expenses on trip delays. In addition, the death of a pet is considered a valid reason for trip cancellation or interruption under this plan. They also offer pet assistance services both before and during your trip.
Great Coverage for Adventure Sports
World Nomads Travel Insurance provides coverage for adventure sport enthusiasts wherever they travel. It offers coverage for over 200 adventure activities, from sports to risky volunteer work, that other plans won’t cover.
If you are a U.S. citizen or resident, the highest levels of the Trawick SafeTreker plan cover up to 500 potentially hazardous sports and activities. Their extensive activities list covers nearly anything you can think of, including many activities that are excluded in other plans.
Consumer Reports Travel Insurance Company Recommendations
Consumer Reports states: “If you buy from a travel agent, you’ll probably be offered only one or two policies from one company. Some online travel sites also tend to limit your choices.” They suggest that you compare your options. Use the links above to research and generate quotes. You can also go to:
- Travel Insurance Comparisons – Compare Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Plans Side by Side
- Compare Global Health Insurance – Compare 3 of the leading global health plans
- Travel Insurance Reviews – Understand how to read travel insurance reviews.
- Best Insurance Plans for Business Travelers
No matter who you choose or where you go – have a safe and happy trip!