GeoBlue Annual Multi-Trip Travel Medical Insurance Plan
The Trekker Choice is an annual multi-trip medical plan which offers emergency medical coverage while you are traveling abroad. This plan covers trips up to 70 days in length (per trip), that you will be taking outside of the country during the year. The Trekker Choice plan does require you to have primary health insurance in place, but there is no exclusion for pre-existing conditions.
GeoBlue Trekker provides the traveler with international health insurance for multiple trips throughout the year. It is also a complete package of services to help you identify, access and pay for quality healthcare anywhere in the world.
With the Trekker Choice plan you are provided with an emergency assistance number to call 24/7 in the event you need medical assistance or an emergency evacuation during your trip. Also, you will have access to detailed security profiles and provider profiles with information regarding doctors and hospitals in the area where you will be traveling. This can help you to prepare for travel to your destination and make informed decisions about your medical treatment if there is an emergency during your trip.
With this plan, the Medical limit is $250,000 (for travelers over age 69, the maximum medical limit is $100,000) and there is a $50 deductible. There is also a $10,000 benefit for claims resulting from a listed hazardous activity such as downhill (alpine) skiing, and scuba diving (certification by the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) or the National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI) required or diving under the supervision of a certified instructor).
The GeoBlue Travel Medical plans are available for purchase only before your departure date. If you have already departed on your trip, do not purchase this plan because you will not have any coverage.
- Up to $250,000 for sickness and accidents
- $500,000 medical evacuation benefit
- Covers pre-existing conditions for medical services
Benefits | Eligibility | FAQs | Get a Quote | Apply
Benefits of the Trekker Choice Plans
Medical Limits and Deductibles
|Maximum Benefit per Insured Person per policy period||$250,000|
|*For Individuals aged 70-84, the Maximum Medical Benefit for GeoBlue Trekker Choice is $100,000.|
|Deductible per Insured Person per policy period*||$50|
|*Deductible waived for physician and hospital services delivered by GeoBlue contracted providers.|
|Benefits are paid for Covered Expenses as follows up to the Medical Limit:|
Inpatient & Outpatient Benefits
Insurer Pays After Deductible is Met:
|a. Surgery, anesthesia, radiation therapy, in-hospital doctor visits, diagnostic X-ray and lab||100%|
|b. Office Visits: including X-rays and lab work billed by the attending physician.||100%|
|Inpatient Hospital Services:|
|a. Surgery, X-rays, In-hospital doctor visits||100%|
|b. In-patient medical emergency||100%|
|Ambulatory Surgical Center||100%|
|Ambulance Service ( non Medical Evacuation )||100% up to $1000|
Prescriptions, Dental Care, and Physical Therapy
Insurer Pays After Deductible is Met:
|Outside the U.S. Outpatient prescription drugs||100% of Covered Expenses up to $5,000|
|Dental Care for Relief of Pain||100% of Covered Expenses up to $500 maximum per Trip Period and $250 per tooth|
|Physical and Occupational Therapy||6 visits per Period of Insurance. $100 Maximum payment per visit.|
Eligibility for Trekker Choice Plans from GeoBlue
- Home Country is the U.S.
- You must be under age 85
- Enrolled in a Primary Plan
- Children under age 6, must be enrolled with a parent
- Initial purchase must be made in the home country prior to departing on the trip
- Products vary based on state
- Family Members included in your GeoBlue Trekker Choice Plan (if applicable) must be:
What is the minimum and maximum trip length?
- A trip can be as short as 1 day or as long as 70 days. GeoBlue Trekker plans cover an unlimited number of trips in a 364 day period.
What methods of payment are accepted?
- Premiums can be paid by a major credit card online.
- If paying by check, please make checks payable to Worldwide Insurance Services and mail to:
1 Radnor Corporate Center
Radnor, PA 19087
How are medical evacuation decisions made?
- The evacuation benefit pays for a medical evacuation to the nearest hospital, appropriate medical facility or back to the U.S. Transportation must be by the most direct and economical route. All evacuations require written certification by the attending physician that the evacuation is medically necessary and must be approved by GeoBlue.
Are acts of terrorism covered under this plan?
- Yes. The GeoBlue Trekker plan does not exclude illnesses or injuries related to terrorism or a terrorist act. In order to be covered in countries where there are open hostilities, such as Iraq and Afghanistan, a member must not be engaged in hostile or combative activities.
What is the difference between the GeoBlue Trekker Choice and GeoBlue Trekker Essential plans?
|Benefit||Trekker Choice||Trekker Essential|
|Maximum Benefits per Insured Person per policy period||$250,000* Outside US||$50,000 Outside US|
|Medical Evacuation||Arrangements and up to $500,000 in costs||Arrangements and up to $250,000 in costs|
|Repatriation of Remains||Arrangements and up to $25,000 in costs||Arrangements and up to $15,000 in costs|
|Outpatient Prescription Drugs||100% up to $5,000||100% up to $2,500|
|Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit||$25,000 (Principal Sum)||None|
*For Individuals aged 70-84, the Maximum International Medical Limit is $100,000
How do I access participating medical providers outside the U.S. and avoid claim forms?
- GeoBlue’s Global Health and Safety services help members identify, access, and pay for quality healthcare all over the world. This includes a contracted community of elite providers in 180 countries. Members can access these carefully selected providers and arrange for the bills to be sent directly to GeoBlue. Please note, a member is responsible for their deductible at the time of service, if applicable. Direct billing can be requested by calling the assistance telephone number listed on your member ID card, or by emailing [email protected].A claims instruction page is available online and can be accessed by visiting GeoBlue Trekker claims page. GeoBlue Claim forms are downloadable from this section of the site.
Will my pre-existing condition be covered under a GeoBlue Trekker plan?
- The GeoBlue Trekker plans are available to those who have primary insurance in the U.S. and will both cover pre-existing conditions. Please refer to the definition of a primary health plan for more specific information on what plans qualify as primary insurance.
How do I read the fine print?
To view a sample policy, visit:
Will GeoBlue Trekker cover me inside the U.S.?
- No. The GeoBlue Trekker plans are designed to cover outside the United States only.
Do I file claims with my primary insurance first?
- The GeoBlue Trekker plans are secondary insurance. However, GeoBlue will process and pay overseas claims as a primary payor and reserves the right, where applicable, to contact your primary insurance company to coordinate benefits.
I am leaving before my policy materials arrive in the mail. How will I receive the information I need in time?
- Upon a successful purchase, you will receive an email confirmation that contains all your necessary policy information and important contact information for emergencies. Once enrolled, members can instantly log in to the Member Hub area of GeoBlue’s website and download an electronic ID card and other policy documents.
How far in advance do you need to purchase a GeoBlue Trekker plan?
- A GeoBlue Trekker plan may be purchased up to one day before your departure date. GeoBlue recommends that customers wishing to receive a hard copy ID card should allow 2 weeks prior to their effective date when purchasing.
I already left on my trip. Can I buy a GeoBlue Trekker plan when I am outside the U.S.?
- No. GeoBlue Trekker plans have been approved to be sold to customers purchasing from inside the U.S. Once issued, you may request a policy extension while overseas.
GeoBlue is the trade name of Worldwide Insurance Services, LLC, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Made available in cooperation with Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.