Overseas Medical Insurance for Living Abroad
When traveling overseas, make sure you have the kind of global medical coverage you need so you can relax and enjoy your trip. In choosing an insurance plan for your overseas adventure, there are a few things to consider. Of the many priorities expatriates, accompanying family members, and employers have for an overseas assignment, staying safe and healthy while abroad and upon repatriation is at the top. To achieve this objective, thoughtful research and diligence are important. If you are planning to travel abroad, one of your most important considerations is overseas health insurance. By purchasing your international plan, you can rest assured that you will have access to medical treatment if you need assistance. Going abroad is an adventure, but you don’t want to take risks for your health. Depending on how long you spend abroad, you can purchase a short-term or long-term overseas health insurance plan to cover you internationally.
Overseas Insurance with Medical Coverage:
- The flexibility to tailor a plan to suit your individual needs
- Access to Cigna Global’s trusted network of hospitals and doctors
- The convenience and confidence of 24/7/365 customer service
- Fortune 100 company with more than 800,000 members
- Access to Annual Health Exams & Medications
- Coverage for Covid-19, Comprehensive Worldwide Cover
Why Purchase Health Insurance While Living Abroad?
Our overseas medical insurance plans provide coverage for doctor visits, hospitalization, prescription medication, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, etc. Our company, International Citizens Insurance, works with individuals traveling worldwide, whether for work, travel, studying, or relocation. Because of our industry experience, we know how important it is to have a high level of customer service and quality products. Our overseas health insurance plans are all with A-rated carriers with 24-hour travel assistance to help you in the time of need. If you need medical assistance, medical referrals, or a translator, we are there to help during your international travel or period of living abroad.
Tip: If you are traveling overseas for less than one year and want a more affordable (less comprehensive) medical plan, consider a Travel Medical Insurance Plan.
What Are the Cheapest Overseas Health Insurance Plans
We would not recommend you look for the cheapest or low-cost overseas insurance plans. We suggest that you consider the overall benefits of each plan and compare them to each other relative to the costs. One plan may appear more affordable at first. Still, as you dig into the policy, you find they have higher deductibles or limits on the overall maximum benefits they payout for certain coverages. A great option is the Cigna International Plan that allows you to customize your plan and add-on benefits only if you need them. The IMG Global Medical Insurance is affordable, especially for younger clients, but increases in cost as you get older. We have created a simple way to review and compare international health plans and suggest considering at least two options. If you have questions, please contact one of our licensed insurance agents to help choose the best plan for you! We look forward to assisting you no matter if you will be traveling to Asia, Europe, Africa, Latin America, North America, etc. The goal: plan now to avoid stress and frustration when the inevitable crisis strikes. International doctors, HR experts, and expatriates recommend you take care of the following as part of your preparation:
- Ask your doctor about vaccinations and immunizations required for your overseas stay
- Translate the names of prescription and over-the-counter medications you use
- Research the medical care and the healthcare system in the host country
- Discuss your strategy should a serious illness occur
- Visit your primary care doctor, dentist, and eye doctor. Get everything taken care of before you go.
- Choose a doctor in your host country for yourself and your family members.
- If you have a chronic medical condition while abroad
- Arrange an appointment with the appropriate specialist in your post country.
- Consider obtaining a bracelet or pendant indicating your important medical condition.
- Be vigilant for symptoms and other signs that your condition is worsening.
Also Read US Dept. of State: Insurance and Overseas Coverage
Best Overseas Health Insurance By Country
Guides to the best health insurance abroad for international citizens living in specific countries based on the top destination countries of people living abroad.
What Are the Differences in Health Insurance for Traveling Abroad
At International Citizens Insurance, we offer a variety of overseas travel insurance options for many types of travelers. The basic categories of health insurance while traveling abroad are:
- Trip Insurance (short trips) covers the costs of your trip abroad with some additional benefits depending on the policy.
- Travel Medical (for longer trips) plans offer additional medical benefits compared to what you get in a trip insurance plan.
- International Health Insurance (Annual Major Medical) plans offer long-term major medical coverage for those working abroad for multiple years.
Before purchasing an overseas insurance plan, select a plan from the list above, and review the plan benefits and exclusions before choosing the plan. You are likely looking for either a Travel Medical Insurance plan or health insurance for travelers in most cases.
If you primarily want to insure your trip’s cost and don’t feel that you will need much medical coverage, review the Travel Insurance plans. Suppose you are concerned with possible medical expenses while overseas, focus on the Travel Medical plans.
There is no right or wrong answer for shopping for medical insurance abroad. You should focus on your needs and priorities and pick the best plan for your situation. Our goal is to provide you with a range of options for health insurance for traveling, including top providers, to meet most of our customers’ needs.
Best Health Insurance Plans When Traveling Overseas
For those of you traveling overseas for less than one year, a travel medical insurance plan would likely be your best option for global coverage. These plans are perfect as they combine emergency medical benefits at a more reasonable price when compared to more comprehensive global health insurance plans. Here are some options:
- COVID-19 coverage outside your home country
- Choose between the basic and more extensive coverage
- Meets Schengen visa insurance requirements
- 24/7 worldwide travel and emergency medical assistance
- COVID-19 coverage outside your home country
- Comprehensive medical coverage from 5 days to 1 year
- Your choice of medical maximum and deductible options
- An extensive worldwide network of providers
Best Medical Insurance Plans for Students Studying Overseas
For students studying abroad or enrolling in a foreign college or university, adequate coverage should be a primary consideration. There are many high-quality international student plans that provide you with global coverage and will meet most requirements of the country you will be living in and the school you will be attending. Here are some options:
- COVID-19 (coronavirus) coverage outside your home country
- Excellent benefits and customer service when you need it
- Keep your coverage when your studies last multiple years
- Medical providers are available in over 130 countries worldwide
- Worldwide medical coverage built for students and faculty in the U.S. and Abroad.
- Select from a range of deductibles and rates.
- Choose providers either in or out of our elite network.
- International Health Insurance Explained
- Visitors Coverage
- UK Government Travel Health Advice
- Expat Insurance Plans