Liability Coverage for Corporations, Non-Profit Groups, and International Organizations
If your company or organization sponsors international trips, you know that there are a variety of risks associated with world travel. Some risks are greater than others and will vary based on the destination country, the number and age of travelers, and the types of activities they will be participating in, among other things. To offset those risks, you will want to make sure you have some foreign general liability plan in place to protect your organization.
Foreign Liability: Product Overview | Quote Request
Why Purchase Foreign General Liability Coverage
Your existing corporate liability plan may not cover you for legal expenses and lawsuits brought in overseas courts. Traveling to foreign countries brings with it several challenges, including corrupt officials, crime, and unfamiliar laws, languages, and customs. US organizations have no protections if they are taken to an international court. Protect your organization with a good Foreign Liability Plan.
What is Covered in an International Corporate Liability Plan
General Liability Definition: According to IRMI, Foreign Liability (Definition) is defined as:
A specialty policy for an insured’s liability for foreign operations arising out of a permanent branch office, manufacturing facility, or other operation located in another country. The commercial general liability (CGL) policy provides coverage for incidental exposures—for example, when an executive (or group of employees)… occasionally travels overseas for business trips. For permanent operations in foreign countries, a separate foreign liability policy is required.
These plans will come with a selection of benefit options and you can either choose an off-the-shelf package or design a plan that is best for you. Benefits and coverages typically include the following:
- General Liability Insurance
- Non-Owned and Hired Auto
- Kidnapping and Ransom (K&R)
- Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Political Risks
- Errors and Omissions ($ back from the client)
- Volunteer Workers Comp
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- and more…
Key Benefits of Coverage and Benefits Explained
Foreign Voluntary Workers’ Compensation / Employers’ Liability
This program features workers’ compensation for expatriate employees and volunteers on permanent or temporary assignments abroad. Excess repatriation and endemic disease are included in this coverage.
- It covers occurrences outside the U.S. where U.S. workers’ compensation does not apply.
- The employer’s liability covers accidents or diseases contracted outside the United States with a $1 Million limit per occurrence.
Foreign General and Employers’ Liability Plans
- Employer liability insurance protects businesses and organizations from legal actions arising from events occurring outside the United States. Our policies feature limits of up to $1,000,000 per occurrence, with aggregate limits from $2,000,000 to $5,000,000.
Foreign Commercial Auto Liability Insurance
- Essential insurance coverage for any company or organization that purchases, leases, or rents vehicles for employees working, traveling, or living abroad. This valuable protection is necessary for protecting your financial interests against lawsuits.
Foreign Commercial Property / Premises Liability
- This coverage is necessary for all international businesses with multiple property exposures. Coverage includes real and personal property, business interruption, property at exhibitions, and property while in transit to its destination.
What Types of Organizations Should Purchase International Liability Coverage?
Review your foreign liability plan if your organization:
- Has employees or volunteers who travel outside the U.S.
- Own or lease vehicles outside the U.S./Canada?
- Exports goods or services
- Has or transports property outside the U.S./Canada, including at foreign trade shows
- Outsource work to subcontractors who are domiciled outside the U.S./Canada
- Own or operate locations, such as sales offices or call centers, outside the U.S./Canada
- Station U.S. workers at foreign offices and/or employ third-country or local nationals
We typically work with
- US Corporations with International Locations
- US Non-Profits or Missionary Groups
- Tour Operators, Lodges, or Tour Operators
- Schools, Universities, and Student Groups
Help with Buying Commercial Liability for your International Operations
Truly, any organization that has international operations should review their existing coverage. What is typical is that an organization either: a) has too little coverage – they have not thought of all the risks and/or purchased adequate coverage; or b) many organizations have overlapping coverage – they have emergency evacuation benefits included in their general liability plan but have also purchased a separate travel medical plan which also includes emergency evacuation. As a result, they may be underinsured or overcharged. We can help in both circumstances. Contact us for a review of your existing benefits and answer your questions about benefits, costs and coverage options.
Foreign Liability: Product Overview | Quote Request