What is Trip Cancellation Insurance
Consider the following scenarios: What if you have (or a family member, business partner, travel companion has) an emergency illness or injury and are unable to travel? What if your passport is stolen while you are abroad? Terrorist incident? Jury Duty? All of these are possible scenarios that you may face and all are available benefits under a quality trip cancellation plan.
Do I Need “TripCan” Insurance Coverage?
Trip cancellation insurance provides protection in the event that you need to cancel your trip and cannot go. If this happens and you need to cancel for one of the covered reasons, you can get your costs back that you have already paid – this includes, depending on the plan you choose:
- Up to $50,000 for trip cancellation
- Up to $1,000 for travel delay
- Up to $2,000 for lost baggage
- Medical Expenses and Repatriation
- Medical Evacuation and Repatriation
- Cancel For Any Reason Upgrade!
- and much more…
We typically recommend Trip Cancellation insurance to customers who have purchased more expensive trips far in advance. It might not make sense to buy the policy for an inexpensive trip which leaves in a couple of days. The earlier you buy the plan, the longer you have coverage and therefore the more value you get for the policy.
When am I Covered for the Cost of My Trip?
Most trip cancellation plans will reimburse your travel expenses for ‘covered reasons”. If you cancel your trip for any of these reasons, you can file a claim and request a refund of your non-reimbursable expenses. Each provider may have different list of what is covered or what is excluded. Here are some of the more typical reasons where you cancel your trip and are eligible for a refund:
- Mandatory evacuation at your destination due to hurricane or other natural disaster
- Primary residence or destination accommodations uninhabitable due to natural or man-made disaster
- Sickness, injury, or death of you, your traveling companion, family member, or business partner
- Death or hospitalization of your destination host
- Adverse weather, natural disasters or terrorist attacks, causing complete cessation of travel services
- Strike causing complete cessation of your common carrier’s services (for at least 12 consecutive hours)
- You or your travel companion are hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury, subpoenaed, or required to appear as a witness in a legal action
- Your job termination or layoff (must have been employed there for 3 consecutive years)
- Terrorist attack within 30 days of your departure
- Government authorities prohibit the activities you planned to do at your destination
- Your job transfer requires relocation of your principal residence
- You or your traveling companion are a victim of felonious assault within 10 days of departure
- Vandalism or burglary of your principal residence within 10 days of departure
- Traffic accident en route to departure
- You, your traveling companion, or family member, who are military personnel, are called to emergency duty for a natural disaster (not war), or military duty within 30 days of departure
- You are active military personnel and have your leave revoked or are redeployed
- You are unable to participate in scheduled hunting, fishing, or sport expedition due to a delay or your sports equipment for 12 hours or more
Do I Need Trip Cancellation with Medical Coverage?
If you are concerned that an unexpected event might prevent you from traveling or an emergency illness or natural disaster might interrupt your trip, there are options to help protect your vacation investment from costly travel delay, baggage, and medical expenses.
With Trip Cancellation Coverage, you may recover non-refundable, unused payments and deposits when a trip is canceled or interrupted for a variety of reasons. Benefits are also provided for travel delays, baggage delays, and emergency medical treatment while you are away from home.
- Trip Insurance Overview
- Review and Compare Trip Cancellation Plans
- Travel Insurance for Non-US citizens
- Comprehensive trip protection for U.S. residents traveling abroad.
- Optional rental car collision coverage available.
- Optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage available (if eligible).