Are you planning to travel internationally? Travel insurance isn’t just a sensible way to protect yourself. It’s now required by many countries. Don’t let your trip end before it begins – make sure you have the right coverage before you go.
These travel insurance requirements are changing rapidly. Some of the countries listed below did not require travel medical insurance a month ago. So even if your destination is not on the list now, it may require travel insurance by the date of your trip. Check both when you book your ticket and a day before departure to ensure that your insurance meets the latest mandates.
This list was up to date as of January 14, 2022 and includes the specific international medical insurance requirements from each country. All prices are in USD unless otherwise noted.
Travel Insurance Requirements by Country
- Andorra: Advises visitors from Spain, France or Portugal to obtain a travel document from the Social Security office of their country. All other visitors are advised to have private travel insurance that has COVID-19 coverage. (Source: Visit Andorra)
- Argentina: Travelers to Argentina must have proof of international health insurance that will cover COVID-19 care. (Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, International Trade and Worship)
- Aruba: Has a COVID-19 insurance plan that all visitors must pay $15 for before entering the country. (Source: Visit Aruba)
- Bahamas: Includes COVID-19 insurance in the cost of their visa. (Source: Bahamas Ministry of Tourism)
- Belize: As of February 15, 2022, all foreign tourists will be required to purchase health insurance. (Source: Belize Tourism Board) According to TravelPulse, this insurance will be issued by Belize and will cost $18.
- Cayman Islands: Visitors must attest that they have travel medical insurance that includes COVID-19 coverage or that they understand the financial risks and can afford to cover their own health costs. (Source: Travel Cayman)
- Chile: Visitors are required to have travel or global health insurance that includes COVID-19 coverage and has a minimum coverage of $30,000. (Source: Chile Travel.)
- Costa Rica: Unvaccinated travelers to Costa Rica must have an international medical policy that covers them for the whole stay. The policy must include $50,000 in COVID-19 coverage, with at least $2000 for COVID quarantine. (Source: Visit Costa Rica.)
- Cuba: Travelers to Cuba must have travel medical insurance that covers COVID-19. (Source: Cuba Tourist Board of Canada)
- Curaçao: Requires visitors to be “adequately insured” for health care and potential COVID-19 quarantine. (Source: Curaçao Tourist Board)
- Fiji: Visitors must have proof of international travel insurance that includes COVID-19 coverage. (Source: Tourism Fiji)
- Indonesia: International tourists must have international health insurance with minimum coverage of $100,000, including coverage for COVID treatment and hospitalization. (Source: Ministry of Tourism, Republic of Indonesia)
- Jordan: Tourists must have medical insurance. (Source: Visit Jordan)
- Laos: Visitors must have a travel medical insurance policy with a minimum of $50,000 coverage. (Source: Laos Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism)
- Malaysia: Travelers to Malaysia must have minimum travel medical insurance coverage of RM100,000 to enter. (Source: Immigration Department of Malaysia.)
- Montenegro: Requires proof of medical insurance to enter. (Source: Government of Montenegro)
- Russia: Travelers to Russia must have travel medical insurance to cover the entire stay. The policy’s geographic coverage must cover the subscriber worldwide, in the Russian Federation only or in Europe with Russia included. The government recommends that visitors carry at least $35,000 worth of coverage. (Source: Russian Federation Federal Agency for Tourism)
- Schengen area countries (Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland): Visitors who require a visa must have travel medical insurance valid for the duration of their stay, with minimum coverage of €30,000. (Source: Portugal Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- Seychelles: All travelers must have insurance to cover COVID-19 treatment costs including isolation. (Source: The Seychelles Islands)
- Singapore: Travelers to Singapore must have a travel insurance plan with minimum coverage of S$30,000 against COVID-19. (Source: Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority)
- Sint Maarten: Travelers to Sint Maarten must purchase a mandatory COVID-19 insurance policy to enter. Visitors purchase this policy during the Electronic Health Authorization System process. (Source: Electronic Health Authorization System of Sint Maarten)
- South Korea: Travelers must hold travel insurance for COVID-19 with a minimum coverage of 30 million won. (Source: Republic of Korea Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- Thailand: Travelers to Thailand must have a travel medical insurance policy with minimum coverage of $50,000. (Source: Tourism Authority of Thailand)
- Turkey: All travelers to Turkey are required to have international medical insurance that covers them for the duration of their visit. (Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- Turks and Caicos: Requires travel medical insurance that covers COVID-19 medical costs, including quarantine. (Source: Turks and Caicos Tourism)
- Ukraine: Visitors must have an insurance policy from an insurance company registered in Ukraine that will cover the cost of COVID-19 treatment. The policy must be valid for the duration of stay. (Source: Visit Ukraine)
- Uruguay: Visitors must have international medical or travel insurance that specifically covers COVID-19. (Source: Ministry of Tourism)
- Vietnam: Travelers to Vietnam must have medical or travel insurance that covers COVID-19 with minimum coverage of $50,000. (Source: Vietnam National Administration of Tourism)
Get a free quote for a travel medical insurance plan that will cover you while you’re abroad.