International Groups Health Plans for International Employees and Expatriates
Increasingly, international organizations are opening offices around the world. This requires a more global approach to health care. Working and living abroad can be an enriching opportunity for international employees, employers have a responsibility to ensure their team has access to high-quality health care wherever they may be assigned. Whether your team is traveling overseas for short trips or are planning to relocate overseas, it is important to ensure that your employees are properly covered no matter where they are throughout the world. Below is an overview of some of the best group plans if you have international employees or volunteers working or living abroad. These are just a few plans that we offer and many can be customized to meet your specific needs.
Some Typical Scenarios for Insuring Employees Abroad
- Your team increasingly includes third-country nationals and you would like to consolidate coverage to one plan to cover them all
- You are hiring new international employees who will be moving abroad for an extended period of time
- You are growing your team to include local nationals in foreign countries
- Key employees live abroad for 3-6 months per year and would like to be able to access care worldwide
The group expat plans listed below are standardized to meet the needs of most small to medium-sized companies. For larger organizations with more specialized needs, we can work with you, the insurers listed below, to provide you with customized options. Contact information can be found below.
In general, we can provide Group International Health Insurance Plans for
- Corporations / Employers
- Missionaries and Volunteer Programs
- Non-Profits and Church Organizations
- Youth and Student Programs
- Other groups with a minimum of 5 or more travelers!
GeoBlue Expat Group Insurance Plans
For long-term international assignments, the GeoBlue Expat Plan provides comprehensive international health benefits with enhanced medical assistance services. The GeoBlue Expat plan is designed for international assignees and their families when they leave their home countries for six months or more.
- Primary major medical plan
- Worldwide coverage
- Rich bene ts covering everything from medical evacuation to maternity care and well visits
- Flexible coverage for U.S. employees outside the U.S., foreign nationals on assignment in the U.S., and third-country national
Eligibility: Available to groups of two or more Must have a tie to a US organization.
GeoBlue also offers a group traveler insurance plan for short-term coverage and trips abroad: GeoBlue Traveler.
Cigna Global Health Advantage (GHA)
If you have employees working in another country, you want to ensure that each of them, and their families, have access to quality health care wherever they are in the world. With Cigna GHA, they will have easy, reliable access to one of the largest networks of health care professionals around the globe – one of many reasons Global Health Advantage (GHA) 2 to 20 may be the perfect plan for you. The GHA plan is designed to cover groups of 2-20 employees living and working worldwide. For larger groups, we can provide customized plans to meet your specific needs.
Cigna GHA Benefits Include:
- Access to one of the largest health networks – with more than one million doctors and hospitals around the globe.
- Experience in establishing guarantees of payment on behalf of customers to doctors and hospitals around the world.
- 24/7/365 access to our service center and in-house team of international doctors and nurses.
- Fully compliant plans. We are experienced in helping choose or design globally compliant solutions that are cost-effective and comprehensive.
- Quick claims payments. 92% of clean customer claims are paid in 10 days or less3 regardless of language or currency.
- The option to speak with a counselor about mental, emotional and general life issues through the International Employee Assistance Program. Help is available anytime.
- Optional benefits: dental, long-term disability, life, accidental death and dismemberment, and evacuation/repatriation coverage.
- Additional “above-and-beyond” services that include remote second opinions from the Cleveland Clinic, international pharmacy fulfillment, and much more.
Eligibility: A minimum of two eligible employees must be enrolled in the program at all times. The employer must have 50+ employees on a worldwide basis (although only two need to be eligible for this product). The policy must be delivered to a U.S. address.
Aetna Ascent Group Expat Plan
The Aetna Ascent plans are designed for groups of 2 – 10 expatriate employees. Each plan offers comprehensive, global health care coverage and innovative wellness programs that go wherever your employees go. Plans are global and can cover internationals residing throughout the world.
Aetna Ascent Plan Benefits Include:
- Simple plan administration and implementation, with annual renewal dates
- Compliance with fronting arrangements and local requirements
- Member access to our network of more than 1.1 million global providers
- Comprehensive member services available 24/7
- Convenient web and mobile tools for people on the go
- Access to the CARE team, a team of clinicians available to support members pre-trip, post-trip and anytime in between by helping get prescriptions filled, coordinate urgent medical care and more
Eligibility: Plans require a minimumof 2 international employees. The sponsoring organization must have at least 50 employees on a worldwide.
International Group Health Insurance for Non-Traditional Groups
Many of our clients have unique needs when it comes to covering their international employees. For example, some organizations will hire local employees in another country and would like to offer them comparable coverage to what their domestic employees receive. As we are brokers, we work with a variety of insurers and underwriters allowing us to offer unique plans to your international health insurance needs. We will work with you to determine the best solutions.
Request a Quote for Group Global Health Insurance
In order for us to assist you in finding options for your group, please let us know a little more about your needs. You have a few options. Download and complete our Group International Health RFP and return to us via email ([email protected]) or fax (1-617-505-1484). Please include detailed census information on the employees to be covered along with any family members to be included in the plan. The census can be in whatever format works best for your needs – i.e. an excel spreadsheet would be fine.
We can tailor plans to meet your specific needs, coverage requirements and budget. If you have any special requirements, please let us know. If you want quotes from specific companies, I am happy to provide them for you. Just let me know what your priorities are and I will take care of them.
Please answer the following questions in order to facilitate your request:
- Do you currently have another plan in place?
- Can you send a copy of your existing coverage and what you want to change in your new plan (if anything)?
- Is there a reason you are looking for a different insurance plan?
- Are you currently working on getting quotes from any other companies (I don’t want to disrupt work that is already going on)?