The Best Travel Insurance Companies
In today’s unpredictable world, travel insurance has become the most important accessory for any international traveler. Travelers want trip cancellation insurance to protect their trip and travel medical insurance plans to protect their health. But with so many companies out there, which ones can you trust?
We’ve looked at companies worldwide to find the best travel insurance companies. The ten companies on our list are the ones that have risen to the top. Each insurer on our list provides excellent value for money and offers excellent coverage.
We have also selected top companies for specific needs. So whether you’re a senior, an adventure traveler, or have other unique needs, you’ll find the right plan below.
How We Picked the Top Traveler Insurance Plans
We judged each company on the following criteria. We only recommend companies that rate “good” or “excellent” on every item.
- How user-friendly is their site?
- Is it easy to purchase a policy?
- How many countries is the plan offered in?
- How extensive are the benefits?
- Is it easy to make a claim?
- What is the quality of their customer service?
What Are the 10 Best Travel Insurance Companies?
- WorldTrips: The Atlas Travel Insurance plan is our “best value“. One of the first insurers in the world to offer plans for purchase over the Internet, WorldTrips helps thousands of customers in over 130 countries. You get a range of benefits and excellent customer service at an affordable price.
- GeoBlue: The GeoBlue Travel Insurance is our best plan for US citizens traveling abroad. GeoBlue is a member of the world-renowned Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and has the premier network of doctors in over 180 countries.
- Trawick International: If you are an American citizen looking for adventure travel insurance, Trawick International probably has the right plan.
- IMG: The Patriot Travel Insurance plan is one of the world’s leading global travel and medical insurance policies; IMG services members in over 190 countries.
- World Nomads: Adventure travelers from over 130 countries rely on World Nomads to cover them for over 200 adventure activities.
- Seven Corners Travel Insurance: Hundreds of thousands of international clients have trusted Seven Corners and their global network of healthcare providers to care for them while abroad.
- Global Underwriters: Global Underwriters are especially notable for their coverage of internationally organized sporting activities.
- AMEX Travel Insurance: American Express is the oldest company on the list, established in 1850. You don’t have to be a cardholder to get their insurance, but you will get special perks if you are.
- TripTime Insurance: TripTime has an easy-to-use interface for any trip, allowing you to add coverage for adventure sports, marine activities, and personal property.
- Battleface: For U.S. residents looking for a simple assortment of plans, Battleface might be the right choice.
Reviews of the 10 Best Travel Insurance Providers
WorldTrips offers the Atlas Travel Medical plan. It’s an excellent option for ordinary international travelers, students, employees, and groups. Volunteers for missionary work often find themselves in remote regions, but Atlas has coverage. The company also sells coverage for the Schengen visa region. The Schengen visa allows travel for 90 days (or 180 days with multiple entry visas) throughout 26 European countries. Atlas will provide you with special proof of insurance to include with your visa application.
- Emergency medical, evacuation, repatriation benefits
- Choose between the basic and more extensive coverage
- Meets Schengen visa insurance requirements
- 24/7 worldwide travel and emergency medical assistance
WorldTrips also offer an excellent student insurance plan: Student Secure
GeoBlue Travel Insurance
One of the most popular companies, GeoBlue’s Travel Insurance, covers US citizens for anything from a 2-week vacation to a 6-month journey through their Voyager plan. They’re a great option for multi-generational trips as many plans include insurance coverage for travelers up to 84 years old. There are also plans for pre-existing conditions that cover medical evaluation and medical services – something travelers of all ages will appreciate.
- For U.S. citizens up to age 95
- Coverage for COVID and pre-existing conditions
- 24/7/365 service and assistance
Also consider Trekker – GeoBlue’s Annual Travel Insurance
Trawick International provides excellent plans to meet your needs if you are a U.S. citizen or resident and plan to participate in hazardous sports or activities. Their famous SafeTreker plan offers four different coverage levels. Each level provides more coverage and covers more activities than the one before.
- Valid for US residents
- Coverage for over 450+ sports and activities
- Emergency medical coverage
IMG Global (Affordable Option)
IMG Global offers Patriot Travel Insurance which is a fantastic option for travelers who like flexibility – both in their insurance coverage and in their budget. Your options for a deductible range from $0 to $2,500 while maximum limits range from $50,000 to $2,000,000. They even do insurance coverage for professional marine crews. This is perfect for expats putting their sailing skills to use as a way to see the world for free. IMG also offers an expat insurance plan for internationals living or working abroad.
- COVID-19 coverage up to policy maximum if you're visiting the U.S.
- Maximum limits up to $8,000,000
- IMG pays 100% of medical expenses in-network
Our list of the top 10 best travel insurance companies is not complete without this favorite of long-term digital nomads. The plans are high quality but can be expensive relative to some of the other options listed above. If you love glacier walking, snow rafting, kite surfing, cave exploration, ultimate Frisbee, bicycle polo, zip-lining, dodgeball, and air guitar, World Nomads is the perfect fit. This company is driven by adventure. Backpackers will love their coverage for farm labor and WWOOF’ing, childcare positions, and all kinds of restaurant and hospitality work. They understand the backpacking lifestyle. They know every region of the world from camping in Canada to avoiding restricted regions in Myanmar. Adventurous travelers love them!
- Coverage for 200+ adventure activities
- Generous benefits for lost and stolen bags and gear
- 24/7 emergency assistance
Seven Corners Insurance
Seven Corners offers the Seven Corners Travel Medical plan, and their coverage is about duration. You can buy insurance for 364 days at a time and renew for up to three years. This makes them unique among this list of the top 10 travel insurance companies. And they’re prepared to help travelers in extreme situations.
Their coverage of natural disasters is exceptionally comprehensive. They provide up to 5 days of accommodation coverage if you’re displaced due to a natural disaster. If that disaster necessitates a return to your home country, your airfare home will be covered. And if you first have to move to a nearby safe location before you can fly home, they’ll also cover three days of accommodations at your midway point. In other words, if you must go to a nearby city or country for safety’s sake and wait for a few days until a flight is available, your accommodations are covered.
- Comprehensive medical coverage with benefits up to $5,000,000.
- COVID-19 coverage that extends up to your medical maximum.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation protection up to $500,000.
Seven Corners also offers some excellent Trip Cancelation Insurance Plans.
Other Travelers Insurance Companies to Consider
Global Underwriters (Plans for Organized Sports)
Global Underwriters offers a variety of coverage and plan options for both US citizens abroad and international travelers worldwide, including plans to cover you for up to 3 years. They also offer a specific plan featuring only Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Benefits and an optional Medical Evacuation Benefit. Check out some of their plans offering coverage for participation in sports activities.
Trip Time Plans from Point Comfort Underwriters
For holidays, business travel, family trips, or study – TripTime plans are an excellent option. TripTime makes purchasing international travel insurance easy. You select the deductible and maximum benefit that works best for you. Then add coverage for Marine Activities, Adventure Sports, or cover your personal property while traveling. Point Comfort Underwriters (PCU) administer the plan. PCU is a healthcare management and administration company providing insurance for international travelers, multi-national organizations, government-sponsored programs, and other international establishments. PCU is an approved Cover-holder for Lloyd’s, London, and as such, has the authority to quote, bind and administer a range of insurance products on their behalf.
American Express Travel Insurance (Cover Through your Credit Card)
If you take comfort in an insurance company backed by longevity, you’ll appreciate American Express Travel Insurance – Their track record dates back to 1850. Yes, 1850! They can help with legal matters, lost luggage problems, and even locating ATMs. And you don’t have to have an American Express credit card to buy their insurance. If you are a cardholder, you’re eligible for some little-known perks. One of the most unique is the Client Letter service. This allows you to receive mail at American Express Travel Offices worldwide. It’s ideal for digital nomads and spontaneous travelers who can’t say what hotel they’ll stay at.
Battleface Travel Insurance
Battleface Travel Insurance provides various trip insurance products for U.S. travelers traveling within and outside of the U.S. In addition to these top-rated plans, the company provides 24/7 emergency medical and trip assistance. Battleface offers insurance for remote destinations as well as adventure sports benefits.
Battleface understands that travelers are as unique as the trips they take. The company’s portfolio of customizable travel insurance options ensures that American residents get the benefits they need without paying extra for benefits they don’t.
Best Trip Insurance Companies
Best Cancel for Any Reason Policy for U.S. Citizens
Trawick International’s Safe Travels Voyager plan offers a Cancel for Any Reason option. It offers 75% reimbursement of your pre-paid, non-refundable trip costs if you should choose to cancel.
Trip Cancellation Plans for All Nationalities
World Nomads Travel Insurance will cover your trip costs if you have to cancel for several reasons and nearly any adventure along the way. It also covers fun activities most other plans don’t, from abseiling to zorbing. And it has coverage for your gear, too!
Review: Trip Cancellation Plans
Specialty Travel Insurance Plans
The plans above are excellent choices for most travelers. However, there are specific plans that work a little better depending on your specific situation or based on the coverage you need. Below we offer some additional guidance on top plans for unique travelers.
Best Travel Insurance for COVID
Best Travel Insurance for Seniors
Seniors up to 84 years old who are U.S. citizens will get excellent coverage from GeoBlue Voyager Travel Insurance, which has an extensive global network of providers.
Seniors from other countries and seniors over 84 will find WorldTrips Atlas a great fit. Note that plans for people of some ages have reduced medical maximums.
Compare Travel Insurance for Seniors
Best Travel Insurance for Missionaries or Volunteers
Atlas Travel Medical Insurance from WorldTrips is the best option for missionaries and volunteers. They have an extensive list of recommended medical providers around the globe, but subscribers are not limited to that list. This is especially helpful for missionaries and volunteers in remote areas where an insurer’s provider network won’t reach.
Leading Plan for U.S. Citizens Abroad
GeoBlue Voyager Travel Insurance is one of the most trusted names in U.S. health, affiliated with the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. It is available to U.S. citizens traveling overseas for up to six months, and its network spans 180 countries.
Best Plans for Digital Nomads
If you are a digital nomad traveling from country to country, you may have some unique requirements for coverage. Nomads Travel Insurance will cover your journey worldwide and nearly any adventure. The plans cover fun activities most other plans don’t, from abseiling to zorbing. They also offer coverage for your gear, too!
Best Travel Insurance Covering Pets
If you want your animal companion to be as well-protected as you are, Trawick International’s Safe Travels Voyager plan has the coverage you want. It will reimburse you for the pet’s return home, medical expenses, and kennel costs on trip delays. In addition, the death of a pet is considered a valid reason for trip cancellation or interruption under this plan. They also offer pet assistance services both before and during your trip.
Great Coverage for Adventure Sports
World Nomads Travel Insurance provides coverage for adventure sports enthusiasts wherever they travel. It covers over 200 adventure activities, from sports to risky volunteer work, that other plans won’t cover.
If you are a U.S. citizen or resident, the highest levels of the Trawick SafeTreker plan cover up to 500 potentially hazardous sports and activities. Their extensive activities list covers nearly anything you can think of, including many activities excluded from other plans.
Best Group Travel Insurance Providers
We have various options if you are looking for global group insurance for your employees traveling abroad or on an international assignment. The plans include travel, health, life, and other benefits for international employees or group participants.
- Offering group plans for international health, life and travel
- Request a quote from the leading insurers around the globe
- A licensed agent will provide quotes and expert advice
Consumer Reports Travel Insurance Company Recommendations
Consumer Reports states: “If you buy from a travel agent, you’ll probably be offered only one or two policies from one company. Some online travel sites also tend to limit your choices.” They suggest that you compare your options. Use the links above to research and generate quotes.
You can also go to:
- Travel Insurance Comparisons – Compare Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Plans Side by Side
- Compare Global Health Insurance – Compare 3 of the leading global health plans
- Travel Insurance Reviews – Understand how to read travel insurance reviews.
- Best Insurance Plans for Business Travelers
Have a safe and happy trip no matter who you choose or where you go!