Student Health Advantage Plan Frequently Asked Questions
To be eligible to apply for the Student Health Advantage plan, you must:
- Be a full-time student or scholar, the spouse of the full-time student or scholar, or a dependent traveling with the full- time student or scholar
- Reside outside the home country for the purpose of pursuing international educational activities including college coursework, research, or teaching for a temporary period of time.
- Be physically and legally residing in the host country with the intent to reside there for at least 30 days on the effective date and at renewal
- Not be hospitalized, disabled, or HIV+ on the initial effective date.
Eligible insureds whose initial coverage is at least three months can request to extend or renew their insurance plan. The coverage under the plan may be renewed monthly for up to 12 months and for a maximum of 60 continuous months. In addition, the insured must continue to meet the eligibility requirements of Student Health Advantage and premium must be paid when due.
Before you begin your travel, simply apply online.
Eligible individuals listed on the Application and for whom premiums have been paid will be covered from the latest of the following dates:
- The date IMG approves your completed Application and receives the appropriate premium
- The date you depart from your home country
- The date requested on your Application
IMG processes applications in a quick, timely manner. Once processing is complete, IMG will email the fulfillment kit to the email listed in the Application. The fulfillment kit will include an IMG Identification Card, and the insurance certificate providing a complete description of the rights and benefits under the contract. For your convenience, you will get emailed this information and may also access it from the IMG website.
If you do not choose Online Fulfillment, IMG will mail your fulfillment materials. This may cause delays. We recommend online fulfillment for immediate access to your coverage information.
Certain treatment and supplies including hospital admission, inpatient or outpatient surgery, and other procedures as noted in the Certificate Wording must be precertified for medical necessity, which means the insured person or their attending physician must communicate with an IMG representative at the number listed on the IMG Identification Card prior to admittance to a hospital, before receiving certain treatments and supplies, or performance of a surgery. In case of an Emergency Admission, the Precertification must be made within 48 hours of the admission, or as soon as reasonably possible.
All benefits payable under Student Health Advantage are subject to the terms and conditions in the Certificate of Insurance. To make claim processing efficient, claims for eligible medical expenses may be paid in two ways:
- Eligible expenses that have been paid by or on behalf of the insured person may be reimbursed by check directly to the insured person.
- Eligible expenses that have not yet been paid by the insured person may, at the option of IMG, be paid either to the insured person or directly to the provider.
The claim form can be submitted online at myimg.imglobal.com, or emailed to email@example.com, or mailed to International Medical Group, P.O. Box 88500, Indianapolis, IN 46208-0500 USA. IMG may also be contacted by fax at +1 317-655-4505.
While abroad in your host country, Student Health Advantage from IMG allows you to seek medical treatment from the hospital and doctor of your choice. To help you locate providers in the country you are residing in, IMG has created International Provider Access, a database with over 17,000 providers.
Undergraduate and graduate students who hold F-1 status will be covered while on OPT if they are enrolled in an educational or cultural exchange program for the purpose of receiving on the job training for a temporary period of time.